International Artists

How do international Artists / Presenters apply?

International Artists and Presenters will need to submit an expression of interest on the Artists and Presenters page by the due date.


What can we provide to international Artists / Presenters?

The festival is produced by the Queensland Folk Federation, an incorporated association that depends largely on the efforts of a minimal staff and hundreds of wonderful volunteers. As such, we cannot cover the costs associated with bringing an international touring act to Australia specifically for the festival.

We recommend that Artists/Presenters wanting to perform at the Woodford Folk Festival, propose our festival as one date of a self organised and funded tour. We recommend that you seek an agent to represent you to achieve this outcome. A list of agents can be found at the Folk Alliance Australia (FAA) website. The assistance of an experienced agent can be extremely helpful when completing the complicated and timely application process required by the Australian Government.

The Woodford Folk Festival offers moderate fees. As is the norm for Australian Folk Festivals, we do not provide hospitality for performers. All performers are expected to cover the costs of getting to the festival, food, drink and accomodation whilst at the event. Discounted on-site tent hire is available to all Artists/Presenters and transfers to and from Brisbane airport can be arranged if required.

For more information see our General Information for Artists and Presenters page.


Performing in Australia as a Foreign Resident?

In preparation for entering Australia to perform, your main points of government contact are:

  • The Australian Tax Office (ATO)
  • Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC)


  • All highlighted links to the forms and document links below are direct to the necessary sources.
  • We recommend you down load the forms and documents in their entirety, as instructions are included and are very necessary for preparing the application forms.


The Australian Tax Office (ATO)

If you are being paid a fee for your performances, you are required to have an ABN (Australian Business Number).


Instructions and information can be found on the Australian Tax Office (ATO) website. The reason for applying for a TFN is "to obtain an ABN".

Download and complete the Non resident Tax File application Form (there are full instructions on the form). It is a good idea to have a lead time of 60 days as you cannot apply for an ABN until you have your Tax file number.

Note: Allow approx. 28 days to receive your TFN. This is also the same for the ABN.


Visit the Australian Business Register website for all the details. Click the “Apply for an ABN” link.


  • You are applying as a Foreign resident and this will need to be addressed during the application process.
  • The Australian Tax Office will contact you if there is a problem with your application. This shouldn't be done until you’ve received your Tax File Number.



This application form should be used by a foreign resident payee (a foreign resident entity who receives a payment) to reduce their 'pay as you go' (PAYG) withholding rate for the year ending 30 June. This will also provide links to a full instruction booklet (on line) plus Phone number and email address. Download the FRWV Form here.

Note: this is helpful if it’s in place before your tour starts as you might be able to secure a 0 (zero) exemption through this application process.

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) website is a very informative site that should be read by all applicants. It provides a comprehensive overview of expectations of the Australian Government and DIAC.


Australian Department of Immigration Application Forms to be completed by Performers

Please note: The queensland Folk Federation will not act as your sponsor. Please make alternate arrangements.

1. Form 1420 - Applying for an Entertainment Class 420 Visa

This form is used to make an application for you to work in Australia as a performer (musician, dancer etc). Form 1420

These forms need to be read thoroughly and printed out to be filled in. Also contact phones are available for assistance and input. Check with DIAC or your sponsor in regards to support documents needed.There are also phone numbers to be used for assistance and input during the completion of the form. If you have a sponsor, they will assist you. Generally they may include such items as:

  • Copies of some Performance Contracts
  • An estimate of booked income
  • Musicians Union (MUA or MEAA) written support.
  • Copy of I.D. pages of passport

Note: written union support may not be required if your sponsor is exempt.

2. Form 956a - Appointment of an Authorised Recipient

Performers complete this form to inform DIAC that you have appointed anauthorised recipient, migration agent or exempt agent. It is usual for performers to have an 'authorised recipient'. This is usually someone who works for and is appointed by your sponsor. By completing this form you are giving the sponsor permission to act on your behalf. The sponsor submits to the Australian Department of Immigration, all your forms and documentation. Form 956a

Note: The Sponsor could be your Australian tour manager or an arts organisation. They must be Australian citizens


Australian Department of Immigration Form to be completed by Your Sponsor

1. Form 1420n - The Appointment of a Sponsor

This form is completed by your Australian sponsor. Form 1420n

Visa Costs

For current fees go to the DIAC website.


This is to advise that this page is designed as a "General Information Page" only. Responsibility must lie with all performers to check thoroughly with each Department during the application process and take instruction from the appropriate Australian government sources.